Annie is my hero for endless reasons.
She has always said that God’s principal message to humanity is, “I want to go with you.”
Annie embodies this message better than anyone I know.
This week has been a heavy week for Young Life in Indianapolis. A freshman student who was involved with Young Life at Herron High School took his own life Friday night. No one saw it coming. My mind and emotions are too scattered to write much about this in a way that does it justice. His parents serve on the YL committee at Herron and his older brother and sister are both involved with YL. Annie is very close to Katy who is a senior.
Annie has spent nearly every minute with the family since Matt’s death. She is sleeping at their house. Helping with memorial plans. Sitting with Katy and the other kids. Picking out pictures. Crying. Laughing. Comforting.
Marlin and the team of YL leaders are doing the same for the family and countless other kids who are distraught and confused.
God’s message of “I want to go with you.”
- To the Israelites wandering in the dessert during the Exodus God said “Build me a tent- I want to go with you.”
- When God chose to become a man in the person of Jesus it was God saying to humanity “Even in the mess of this world-I want to go with you.”
- To the woman caught in the act of adultery Jesus, aware of her story says “I want to go with you.”
- Jesus touched the man with leprosy, who no one else went near, to say “ I want to go with you.”
This is God’s message to you too.
- When all seems lost- I want to go with you
- When you have screwed up….again- I want to go with you
- When your mom is dying of cancer- I want to go with you
- When your friends turn their back on you— I want to go with you
- When you lose your job— I want to go with you
- When your dad leaves— I want to go with you
No matter your story the message is the same: ” I want to go with you.”